Barasoain Church (also known as the Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Parish) is a Roman Catholic church built in 1888 in Malolos, Bulacan. It is about 42 kilometers away from Manila. Having earned the title as the “Cradle of Democracy in the East, the most important religious building in the Philippines”, and the site of the First Philippine Republic, the church is proverbial for its historical importance among Filipinos. – Source
Barasoain Church is a Roman Catholic church built in 1888 in Malolos City, Bulacan. Having earned the title as the Cradle of Democracy in the East, most important religious buildings in the Philippines and the palace of General Emilio Aguinaldo, the Church is proverbial for its historical importance among Filipinos.
Founded by Augustinian Missionaries in 1859, the church is also renowned for its architectural design and internal adornments. The original church was burned during the outbreak of the Philippine Revolution however, it was renovated. It is about 42 kilometers away from Manila.
The church recorded some of the important events occurred in the country. Three major events in Philippine History happened in this church: the convening of the First Philippine Congress, the drafting of the Malolos Constitution, and the inauguration of the First Philippine Republic. By Presidential Decree No. 260, the church was proclaimed as a National Shrine by President Ferdinand Marcos on 1 August 1973. Unusual for newly elected presidents in the Philippines, the church has been a venue for inaugural affairs. General Emilio Aguinaldo and former president Joseph Estrada were the only two who have been inaugurated in the place. – Source
A national shrine, the historic Barasoain Church is the site of the Constitutional Convention of the first Philippine Republic, making the Philippines the very first Asian Government to promulgate a Constitution. It was the Seat of the First Philippine Republic on Sept. 15, 1898 to the last week of Feb. 1899 under the presidency of Pedro Paterno. In its convent the Universidad Literaria Cientifica de Filipinas was first housed. It also boasts of a light and sound museum under the management of National Historical Institute. – Source